Monday, October 19, 2015

Segio Martinez (English)


 “An integral approach based on the human dignity for development projects is the key to get a successful pathway toward the definitely eradication of poverty in the Whole World”

I am Sergio Martinez, from Guatemala City, Guatemala. I am studying the Master of Arts in Integral Economic Development Policy (IEDP). I chose to study this program because I want to learn how to apply its Integral Approach, based on the human dignity for development projects, in the creation of sustainable enterprise opportunities for people who live under poverty conditions. Since I have been familiarized with economic studies, I have felt a strong professional commitment to contribute to the eradication of poverty around the world. For my journey, the IEDP program will allow me to design, implement and evaluate an Applied Research Project (ARP) in Guatemala, which will consist in an investment fund for workers from the Association of Independent Banana Producers (APIB, by its acronym in Spanish) located in the city of Tiquisate from Escuintla.

As part of my experience in the IEDP program, I have been learning from inside as well as outside the classrooms. From my experiences inside the classrooms, having classmates who comes from different parts of the world has meant to have rich discussions from their experiences that every day allow me to learn some new detail about opportunities of development projects. Also, the professors have had a key role in challenging me to analyze and to think beyond the given conditions that pretend to establish obvious scenarios of expected outcomes in development. In other hand, outside classrooms I have had the opportunity to participate in events hosted by organizations such as the Inter-American Development Bank, the KMPG consulting group and the New Rules for Global Finance Coalition, which have presented relevant international reports about innovative indexes and policy strategies which capture the multidimensional needs on development that has to be addressed with urgency toward the short, medium and long term in common agreement among all the sectors of society.

As part of my academic background, I earned a Bachelor of Arts in Economics from Rafael Landivar University from Guatemala, graduating with the acknowledgements of Magna Cum Laude and Excelencia Landivariana. Before joining the IEDP program, I was working as Economic Analyst for the Department of Strategic Studies from Rafael Landivar University. Priory, I held the position of Economic Analyst for the Division of Strategic Analysis from the Secretariat of Strategic Intelligence of State of Guatemala. Before that, I worked as Research Assistant for the Department of Public Budgets from the Central American Institute of Fiscal Studies. Early in my career, I did an internship in the Economic Division from the Committee of Agricultural, Commercial, Industrial and Financial Associations. Furthermore, I have been Professor Assistant for the School of Business and Economics and for the School of Social and Political Sciences from Rafael Landivar University. Nowadays, I am Opinion Columnist for the Section of University Newsletters from the Newspaper La Hora from Guatemala. As part of my contribution to the Academia, as co-author I did the research Students Choices during their Professional Education in the University, which was published in the Academic Review ECO No.10 from Rafael Landivar University.[1] 

 After completing my IEDP Program, I expect to be part of the World Bank and United Nations networking which will be pursuing the commitment of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development Goals. Particularly, I would like to be part of the team work with the specific responsibility to guarantee the commitment of the First Sustainable Development Goal which have been mentioned as end poverty in all its forms everywhere, including the commitment for its respective subsequent goals.[2] Also, I am interested in being part of the team work which will be coordinating initiatives regarding of urban development projects in developing countries, such as the Emerging and Sustainable Cities Initiative from the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB).[3]


Sergio Martinez – Student of IEDP – Spring 2017 Candidate (SPANISH VERSION)




[1] Revista Académica ECO, no. 10, june 2014. (See Pp. 61 – 73). Document available in the following link: http://www.url.edu.gt/PortalURL/Archivos/04/Archivos/Revista%20ECO10.pdf
[2] Transforming our world: The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. (See Pp.14-15). Document available in the following link: http://www.un.org/ga/search/view_doc.asp?symbol=A/70/L.1&Lang=E
[3] See the Emerging and Sustainable Cities Initiative Section from the Web Page of the Interamerican Development Bank. Information available in the following link: http://www.iadb.org/en/topics/emerging-and-sustainable-cities/emerging-and-sustainable-cities-initiative,6656.html

No comments:

Post a Comment